Welcome to Smart Roadster ownership...

This is the history of my Smart Roadster to the present day, that will be constantly updated with information that you will hopefully find useful and informative throughout your Roadster ownership... enjoy ;-)

Thursday 19 July 2007

Wheels & Spacers

July 2007...

Well it had to happen, ideas for the outside had started to take over my consiousnes and I had to do something about the exterior of the car...

These months were mostly spent coming to terms with how to fit wheels on the car that were not the standard three stud pattern, and deciding on what the best rubber (tyres) would be to keep me on the tarmac rather than in the fields!

I started my search for some lightweight 17" wheels, as I figured the more rubber on the reoad the batter the grip, well in the dry anyway. Lot's of people like the 16" Spikelines but they are not for me.

I soon discovered that it was not that simple and there were lots of things to consider;
  • Wheel Width
  • Offest
  • Tyre Size
  • Centre Bore Size
  • Hub Size
  • Spigot Rings
  • 3 to 5 Stud Adapter/Spacers

I did a fair bit of research and I'm now and expert in all of the above, but I can't be bothered to bore you with the details as I don't want to wear my fingers to the bone typing it all... so ill just cut to the chase the 3 to 5 stud adapter/spacers to widened the track 65mm rear and 15mm front...

and I got these wheels...



The wheels weigh 2kg more each including the tyres (Yokohama Prada) so added 8kg to the car which isn't bad for 17" wheels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic looking wheels, that truely complement the smart roadster. Are they Momo corse.

Regards, John.

Alex Stanhope said...

Yes, they are Momocourse 17" 7.5j wheels.